Thursday, December 31, 2009

Last of the Year

So 2009, you were hated by many of my contemporaries. Loved by very few.

Well you know what? I'm kind of indifferent towards you.

I can tell you that the last half of 2008 (right after October-) was not a good year. I lost a really special person, and that loss even more profoundly destroyed one of my most dear friends lives. She didn't deserve that.
So when 2009 came into town, I was looking forward to it.

But really 2009 you were a vanilla year. I saw a steady, horizontal, flow of experiences. There were many more good times- nothing really BAD happened. The good things entailed a nice surprise regarding work- which in turn made me really love my job that much more than I already had. Also I had the opportunity to make some great new friends, and get closer to other people whom I had not previously been actual friends with. In August the hub and I took a nice vacation to California...And the holiday season, while whirlwind in it's come-and-gone madness, was pretty nice. Actually it was better than nice because I was able to connect in a nice way to so many of my family members. Somewhere along the way family has become really important to me and having so many chances to see people who are so important to me was a great experiences.

I suppose 2009, that you were a good year- for me at least.

But that isn't really good enough. I want a STELLAR 2010. Some goals (no, not resolutions- because for me a resolution is incredibly cliche, and really I have higher hopes than just an average resolution).

Some things that are on my agenda.

1) Clarinet lessons. Yeah, I'm not kidding. I'm signing up on Monday to be part of a Clarinet Choir, supplemented by a private lesson every other week. As mentioned in a previous blog, I WILL play 'Rhapsody in Blue'.

2) Burlesque classes/Pin-up photo shoot. I don't know why I'm so drawn to the brassiness of Burlesque. Maybe because I am not conventionally beautiful, and that style of 'tease' is more in line with my "look"? I don't know...The pin-up photo shoot is just for shits and giggles. I don't want to over think that one. Oh yeah, and it's all fun and silly stuff to be a part of. And one day when I tell my grandkids to LIVE their LIVES! and not let the little petty stuff get to them, I'll have the brass to back up my balls!

3) Improv classes. For a while I've wanted this. And while between work, and clarinet lessons, and the gym and art work, and having a life this might be hard to work in- I'll make it happen. Perhaps in the spring once I've done a few other things on my list. Plus I'm kind of funny. It'd be nice to see if I can move that to ACTUALLY funny.

4) Travel to Portland. I have an awesome friend who lives there and has invited me out many times- As soon as I can find a weekend, and get a flight- I'm there. Not only is it a great city for picture taking, I hear the food, culture and nightlife are spectacular! Also in general I'd like to travel EVERYWHERE. For now I'll start with Portland.

5) Have my last birthday of my 20's in Vegas. That isn't really optional. I want to go out with a bang on this one. My partner in crime is even interested. We'll hopefully be able to nail that one down soon. SO scary by the way. A whole new decade? Whoa.

6) Read. A LOT more. And not just chick-lit and fluff (but I still want some of that...there is a third book in a trilogy that I'm reading with the third installment due out in June! Can't wait!). The classics are what the focus of this goal is. I want to be so enriched with literary masterpieces that I could teach a class. I crave it. If anyone has book suggestions I'll gladly take them. I plan to start with a few of my favorite books (that aren't really impressive since they're right off an 8th grade summer reading list- but whatever it's not Twilight (not that there's anything wrong with that either!), that I are definitely worth re-reading. 'Like Water for Chocolate', 'Brave New World' and 'The Great Gatsby'.

7) Find a cause to volunteer my time for. I am hoping to be really busy- but not so busy that I forget that it's important to "be the change'. Just saying that I want to volunteer is great, but doing it is WAY better. I am thinking that I'd like to volunteer a few times a month at a senior center. Maybe help with arts and crafts, or look into having Samson (my associate), be a visiting pet since most of these facilities don't allow their residents to have pets. He's so sweet and good with people it might be nice. Who knows.

8) Steadily practice yoga/meditation, not just a few times a week for 20 minutes.

Thats it for now, but it's all part of my plan to live a 'succulent' life. It starts now. My cousin- in- law threw that at me in an email and it's really resonating with me. It's part of a book that I'm planning on getting. I'll have to reference the book title/author so I can make sure to get a hold of a copy.


       Morgan Park, 12.09


   Yosemite National Park, 8.09

    The Hub and a big pine cone on the way to Yosemite, 8.09


   Redwoods, Yosemite National Park, 8.2009


               Redondo Beach CA, 8.09


         Los Angeles CA, 8.09

 
       San Francisco, CA (Haight/Ashbury), 8.09



 Photo by the Hub, Chinatown SF, CA 8.09



No comments:

Post a Comment