Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yerba Mate

So over the past few months, I've weaned myself off of coffee. It's dark, and usually too hot, and it makes your breath smell and teeth yellow.....And it makes me want to smoke. BOO!!!! Now, once and a while I'll enjoy an iced cup of coffee-Once in a very blue moon. My beverage of choice for the most part is tea. And as of about a year ago- Yerba Mate.

"What is Yerba Mate?" you may be asking yourself? Well, in case you didn't know- Yerba Mate is according to Wikipedia an infusion of leaves and twigs from the mate' plant (a relative of the holly bush!). This plant is native to South America- specifically Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay and Southern Brazil. The indigenous people have consumed this beverage for centuries...It is consumed for a myriad of purposes. It has many chemical components that have excellent health properties for your body and mind. Studies have shown that it helps lower cholesterol, is a good source of minerals (magnesium, manganese, and potassium), as well as enhances ones metabolism. It's better than any energy drink- thats for sure!

I love it most of all because it helps me focus. LIKE A LASER BEAM!. Holy shamoly- It's like nothing else I've consumed in my life. Not only do I feel like I can get things accomplished after sipping this fine herbal concoction- but I actually DO get things accomplished. It's got less caffeine than a traditional coffee and many teas- however it's not overly stimulating.

There is so much tea at my house I should host daily tea time. And since becoming a mate' drinker in the past few years it's become even more packed because I buy loose mate, loose smoked mate, mate with sticks, mate with no sticks, chocolate mate, chai mate.....and it continues. I already had a problem with my tea collection- and it's rapidly extending into a collection of mates and teas. Today there was a tea related calamity in my tea cabinet (An entire cabinet dedicated to tea/mate). I was making some iced mate with agave and then about 14 boxes, and bags and tins flew onto me. Projectile flinging of inanimate objects. It was like an anti-tea poltergeist decided to attack me. I realized that I had put my bag of mate back on a shelf that was arranged with tetris like precision and my haphazard placement disturbed the fine balance. But seeing how much brewable goodness I have really made me laugh. And it's only going to get worse. I'm on the lower side of the spectrum with tea at this time of year. Now that I've discovered TeaVana at the mall, and I have all sorts of other ways to get my mits on some herbal/white/green/chai/tropical/mate teas. OOh. It's on. And only a few weeks until it's proper tea weather. Oh boy...

Please do try Yerba Mate and let me know how you like it. The taste isn't overly aggressive, but it's not for everyone either. I enjoy it with a tiny spot of agave, or honey.  If you try it let me know! I'd love to hear about your experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment