Sunday, August 8, 2010

WANTS vs. NEEDS

We all have that list. It's part of our make up as Americans. If you aren't originally from America, or have mastered Buddhist philosophy, or just shunned the disgusting 'gimme gimme gimme' mentality that we are supposed to have as good fat capitalists- then this may not apply to you.

And now I will admit my dirty shameful secret. My wants list is miles and miles long. I want so many material possessions. Shoes, clothes, bags, jewelry, gadgets, and other crap that in all honesty I can not afford or even contain in my medium small apartment. It's an unfortunate result of watching television, and exposing myself to the fanciful pretty magazines that perpetuate this 'thing' based mentality.

Lucky for me my NEEDS list is meager and staggeringly short. This is what makes me so pleased, and so thankful for all I have been blessed with. I am fine as long as this needs list stays small and short.

Ooh, and here is the part where I share my wants/needs lists.

WANTS (abbreviated)

-converse sneakers- red, yellow and green high top one stars. black, purple and navy blue low top one stars.
-michael kors bag/wallet
-issey miyake purfume
-hanae mori pink butterfly perfume and lotion set
-i pod. nano. purple
-macbook. I love pc's but want a mac to expand on my design capabilities
-a new iphone
-a new iphone case
-an accord crosstour.
-a complete cd set of the beatles albums
-paid vacations to: province town, jamaica, paris, london, spain, australia, the south west, alaska, the pacific northwest, greece
- my yoga instructor certification
-a certification from the institute of integrated nutrition
-a kitchen aid mixer
-a vitamix blender
- 5 pairs of jeans that fit perfectly
-comfortable cowboy boots
-a standing spa day every other week at bliss spa
-a dining room large enough to entertain 20 of my closest friends and family for dinner parties and bbqs.
- a house in a nice neighborhood
-box seats for the mets
-an art studio space  filled with canvas and supplies to make jewelry, accessories, clothes and other art.
-an assistant
- a house out east on the north fork of long island
-a wardrobe that is bohoemian, and classic and tailored to make me look effortlessly put together.
-a loft in Brooklyn, in a neighborhood that is envied nationwide for diversity, community and safety. There would be projects going on all the time and efforts to bring farmers markets weekly to the community.
-a boat for excursions out east and possibly up and down the coast.
-cabins in the woods upstate NY, and in Maine.
-a workout room. It'd have weights, an elliptical machine, a treadmill, a pilates/yoga and meditation room.
-garden space where I can cultivage heriloom herbs, veggies and chickens (for their eggs). I'd also be a bee keeper and work on creating awareness of their importance. Create a program for schools as well as colleges to promote apiaries .
-A home in europe. Italy or France. If it were in Italy, it'd be in the countryside outside of Rome or Milan. In France it's be in the country south of Paris. About an hour and a half away. I'd entertain there all the time....
-a completely energy efficient, semi-off the grid power set up. I'd have rain water runoff containers, I'd have solar panels all over my homes, and I would work on setting up windfarms so that the energy could be harnessed from that too.


The list continues and it's ridiculous.

my Needs:

love
laughter
air
water
food
friends
family
more love
music
art
hope


in no particular order. Also, ALL of those needs are met.

I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment