Thursday, August 19, 2010

Heirloom Tomatoes. The good, the bad and the ugly. ALL delicious.

One of the most wonderful parts of the summer is the produce. Especially summer tomatoes. This time of year makes those beautiful red, (and if you're lucky enough to get heirloom tomatoes....green, yellow, mottled brownish purple....) globes burst with flavor.

Yeah, I'm a bit nuts about it- But who could blame me? You can't get REAL tomatoes after September as far as I'm concerned.

Here are pictures of some delicious heirloom tomatoes I ate tonight!








Delicious!

So what is an Heirloom tomato some of you may ask? Click HERE to learn more.

For a quick answer to that question, they are varieties of tomatoes that are not common (i.e. your average red, often boring- tomato). Often they vary in size, texture, color, and flavor. One of my favorites is the Zebra (first picture). They're great for pickling (which I WILL be doing this weekend... Pictures to be included in that follow up post). There are so few ways to make the delicious summer veggies last all year long.

This week will be the week where all I eat is tomatoes. Thats not bad right? Maybe some kale or spinach with olive oil and a smile. That could work.


Oh, and the best part about these tomatoes? LOCAL, AND ORGANIC. It's like a belated birthday gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment