Monday, November 16, 2009

Angels, Chemtrails and the Holiday Inn...A travelers story.

Today began like any other day. A frenzied mad dash to get out of my house at a respectable time to make it to Buffalo (on the entire other side of the state from the little city of Glen Cove I'd like to add).
These trips always fulfill some deep desire to be a wandering vagabond- But as I have an interesting grasp of time management, I always seem to be rushing even when leaving for local appointments- and even if I had allotted a decent amount of time to prepare, travel and get to said appointments!
Between the bank, the post office, and the gas station-and hopefully on the road; I had a morning that was destined for frustration, and a possible need to "find my center"- or in layman terms- scream "SERENITY NOW!!!" ala' Frank Costanza.

But that didn't happen.

Somehow I was able to get a move on and out of the house by 9- which for me is fan-friggn'-tastic. My first stop was what I refer to is fodder for amusement. I needed to put air in my tires. Of course a woman who comes from a line of strong independent minded ladies would never willingly admit to this- but I wish Matt was there to help me.

Now, I was paying attention for 99% of my drivers ed class. The part about changing a tire? Check. How to merge? Check. What to do in case of an accident? Check. But that filling up tires thing (which is SO easy by the way) always had me nervous. Maybe because an incorrectly filled tire can lead to a blow out, which can result in disaster. No pressure there right? (no pun intended either). Of course I knew there was the air station at the end of the lot you popped change into and then you had a stream of air for like, 3 minutes. I'm not that clueless...I digress. Well, this morning Matt couldn't indulge me.. So I went off to find that the wild adventure that is tire filling isn't as difficult as I once thought.

My teacher this morning was, quite possibly an angel. One second the space by the air pump was empty. I was replacing my gas cap and getting in my car to pull over and I looked up and all of a sudden there was a white, older car with what I thought was nobody there. Initially I was frustrated because this was going to set me back 5 minuites- and then a domino affect of other hinderances would have me getting to Buffalo at 3 am! Not ideal...

So before I could even exhale in frustration, there was this sweet faced old man. He had been putting air in his tires on the other side of the car which is why I didn't see him. I stood patiently waiting, looking for change (which I did not have). When he looked up and smiled it was an opportunity that I used to ask for change of a dollar, which he didn't have. "But I'll give you fifty cents, and a quick lesson on tire pressure!" he shouted over the whirring of the air pump. I didn't want to take advantage, but my offer to give him a dollar in exchange for the fifty cents was rebutted. The lesson I decided to take though.
He swiftly knelt down next to my tire, White and gray hair shining almost as brightly as his satin Yankees 09' World Series Jacket, and showed me how to check the pressure using the gauge- EASY as pie I might add. And then he helped me put air in the rest of my tires. This was such a lovely and unexpected treat.

And as I was putting my last air stopper thingy on the tire(is that a technical term do you think?)- I looked up and he was already pulling away. I took a picture of him as he was pulling away in my side view mirror.

After that really nice moment, the post office and rest of the day went by with a sense of peace and light.

Except for the Chemtrails that I can't stop noticing EVERYWHERE. Once I learned what many people think these are, I've become highly disturbed by them. Now, I'm not actively a conspiracy theorist- But I am not at ease with the idea in my head that these are something that could be harmful. Below are some pictures from today.









Ok- Not to make people mad with fear- it's just what a whole lot of uber paranoid folks are saying. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. Annnnnnnd maybe I'm a nobel peace prize winning circus freak. Who knows. There is so much to be worried about- This just annoys me. Anyone have philosphies on them? Something to quell my undulating paranoia would be rad.

Oh, and the part about the Holiday Inn. Well, lets just say that Orbitz does a FANTASTIC job of making mediocre hotels look like the Four Seasons. My first room was so far from the front desk that I was contemplating calling a cab, AND it had no bolt on the door- and as a bonus: a weird homeless looking/smelling guy (on a blackberry?!) screaming in the hallway. Not so comfy with that. As a chickadee who spends a lot of time travelling on her lonesome, ANYTHING that makes me uncomfortable is rectified immediately. I refuse to not speak up about room safety. I settled on a room on the far side of the building, but no hobos screaming on their mobile (moh-bye-eel) AND a handy dandy bolt lock AND a chain lock. Fancy digs.

What a day. Lucky for me the job I do is more than worth the adventures and mania that keep me so entertained.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I can't offer anything about the trails. I just learned about the theory from you the other day, LOL. Sounds like your day was filled with all kinds of interesting adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty much over the chemtrails. Chalking the hysteria up to propaganda from the far far left. Sometimes I need a reminder that too far in one direction is just a bit too far all together.

    ReplyDelete